Sunday, April 12, 2009

I heart dill

I have a new favourite herb. It's dill!! I found this while walking around in a local grocery store. Just yesterday my sister bought dill aiolli at the Woolworth food dome at the Easter Show and it's fantastic!
The only thing I know about dill is that it's one of the main ingredients for gravlax, which is a scandinavian dish of cured salmon. Funky little dish that is, but as for me, I don't like much of sugar in anything, prefering the savoury taste over sweet so I went home with the bunch of dills in my little hot hands and I marinated some salmon with salt, dill and sake. The sake gets rid of the fishy smell that often penetrates every space in your apartment when you cook fish. I let the fish marinate away in the fridge for a few hours while I twiddle my thumbs and watched "How to lose a guy in 10 days".
Come dinner time, all I had to do was to heat my grill and grill these babies. The sake will evaporate, leaving almost no trace. I'm yet to master the art of sake appreciation to be able to capture the taste of this delicate drink. Meanwhile, the dill marries into the salmon perfectly. I couldn't be more pleased. The real star of today's Easter dinner however, was the salad.
I packed in just 3 heads of endive/witlof, peeled off the bigger petals or leaves as "bowls" and diced off the rest with some carrots for the "fillings" dressed with dill-sesame mayonaisse. Unfortunately, I didn't buy any of those wonderful dill aiolli from the Easter show yesterday so I had to make my own. The trouble with buying herbs is that they last forever, and often goes into waste. Before buying a bunch of herb, I often have to brainstorm dishes that require the same herbs so to avoid the situation and most times, I end up coming home herbless.
So if you buy dill, make mayonaisse, marinate fish... make dill infused oil. Please tell me how it goes if you decide to take the last advice. The other option, which I find works and is super pracitcal, is to go shopping with your best friend and share the herbs. You don't need to make the same dish but if you do, you could probably learn off each other by tasting each other's versions the next day over lunch.

Last tip on minimizing wastage, if you make pizza and have leftover dough, make cheese grissini. With many things in your fridge, you could possibly also whip up some minestrone soup the following day to go with the bread stick. I remember back in my uni days, the pizza cafe at UQ's St Lucia campus used to serve up their delicious minestrone soup with freshy baked grissini. I believe that they have a mean traditional pizza oven too because the smell, the taste and the texture of the crust is just something else. Hmmmm....
As for mine, I gave some to my dinner guests to take home. It can be easily heated up in the oven or microwave, but delicious as it is too.

7 comments:

Henny Penny in the Kitchen said...

what else do you put into the salmon? salmon, dill and sake??!! what type of sake?

I always wanted to try cooking with wine... alas i'll buy the wine and just before i start cooking, the wine has mysteriously disappeared, i later found the bottle in the recycle bin... hhmm.... i should hide it in my room instead

Kiki Yulyaningsih said...

Hahahah good idea.

In the salmon marinate, I've mixed sake, dill and salt only. You could try adding a bit of sugar too. Mom always adds a bit of sugar into savoury dishes to balance out the flavour so a bit of sugar would definately bring out more of the flavour, I'll try it too next time.

Izuvian said...

Dill is good in tuna fish sandwiches.

Kiki Yulyaningsih said...

Hey Hoffster,

You are absolutely right. I made some tuna salad with the dill mayonaisse and it was too good to go into sandwiches.

Gulf Fruits said...

Looking for fresh vegetables online in Dubai? Gulf Fruits deliver fresh vegetables at your door steps. Buy vegetables and fruits online in Dubai!

Cavallo Collections said...

Buy Leather Bag Online | Cavallo Collections | UAE
Embrace femininity with our exclusive range of leather bags and accessories. Bags have always been in fashion, be it in Dubai or anywhere in UAE. Both for men and women, it has always been an accessory to enhance the fashion and the general style of the person. We at Cavallo Collections, bring to you all the choices you could ever want.

Mazmo Environmental Services said...

Pest Control Services in Dubai!
Mazmo UAE deliver international quality pest control services in Dubai! We deliver cleaning services such as AC duct cleaning, kitchen hood cleaning, water tank cleaning, pest control services, sanitization services and more!