Saturday, June 20, 2009

Nasi Tumpeng Mini

I thought I'd make a weekend of cooking Indonesian dishes, all to go around a mountain of nasi kuning (yellow rice), known as nasi tumpeng. Nasi tumpeng is the national celebratory dish of Indonesia that marks most birthdays, christenings, graduations, anniversaries, independence day celebrations, etc (you get the gist). It is essentially a conical shaped rice and can be made with plain rice, coconut flavoured rice or yellow rice (flavoured with tumeric and its other spices friends). The dish is often elaborately decorated and accompanied by a host of side dishes.

Nasi kuning and ikan teri
(made with nasi kuning paste from Kokita)

For my nasi tumpeng, I made side dishes of rendang ayam (chicken rendang), ayam bakar (grilled chicken), egg and salad with sambal terasi.

Telur goreng
(Shredded egg crepe)

It was quite fun. The fantastic thing about making this is that I would have tonnes of left over which is quite handy to a bento box, rich with color and tastes... well, as it turns out I don't have any leftover. (>"<)

Ayam bakar
(Grilled chicken with Nando marinate)

No comments: