Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Scallop Splendor with Frank

Scallop Splendor

Hey fellow food lover, it’s been a while but all is well and good in Kiki land. Today I’m bringing you a dish that I created to welcome 2012 in style with my friend Frank.
Frank and I met not so long ago at an institute in Sydney where we both worked. We were best friends at third sight (or maybe it was 12th?). Fate had it that we both landed in opposite coasts of the USA for work and we had the good opportunity to celebrate the end of 2011 and the start of 2012 together. Needless to say, good company deserves good food, so off to the kitchen we went. We made up some fancy name for this dish and scribbled it down on a piece of napkin, but I can’t read it for the life of me. So I’m going to rename it as Scallop Splendor.  
Serving it in stemless wine glass allows guests to appreciate the dish from all angle
The dish makes a great hors d’oeuvre/entrée and takes barely anytime in preparation. I served it in stemless wine glasses so guests can appreciate the elements that compose the understated elegance of the dish from all angle. Aside from the ingredients, you will need a smile, a glass of champagne in hand and standard chopstick skills. 




To make Kiki’s Midnight Bakery’s Scallop Splendor you will need
  1. Large scallops, 1 per serving, halved lengthway
  2. Keffir lime leaves, scrunched up just before cooking
  3. Microgreens
  4. Japanese seaweed 
  5. Grape tomatoes, sliced lengthway
  6. Soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and sesame oil for dressing
(Not sure where to find some of these ingredients? I got them all from Wholefoods)

First assemble the greens: microgreen bedding, topped with japanese seaweed and sliced grape tomatoes arranged on one side. They can be sealed and refrigerated at this stage while we prepare the scallops. To make the dressing, mix 1 part each of soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and sesame oil. Sugar may be added to the dressing. Add to salad just before topping it with the scallops.   

Have the scallops halved and patted dry. Heat butter and lime leaves in a medium pan on high heat. The idea is to sear the scallops on the outside briefly, while maintaining the tender interior, so do not overcook it. Wait for the butter to start to sizzle and spit, add the scallops and sear for about 1.5 minutes on each side. Discard the lime leaves and rest the scallops on paper towel to absorb extra fat, season with salt and pepper and allow it to cool briefly before seating them on the bed of greens with dressing. Top with salmon roe and serve immediately. Bon Appétit!

And for the main, seared lobster tail on rice and greens. See my previous lobster recipe

1 comment:

Golden Sun Restaurant said...

Oh my, lobsters and rice, my fave! Looks crazy good, thanks for the recipe! This reminds me of the time I used to cook all the time at home, before I got too busy managing a Chinese Restaurant in Capalaba area. You just inspired me cook this weekend!