Sunday, May 10, 2009

Espresso souffle of potato and bacon

Espresso sized souffle with soy fish and salad
dressed with the reduction of the fish marinate


I bought a bag of baby potatoes from the neighbourhood fruit and vegetable store with the intention to make baked baby potatoes like the ones that I loved back in my days in the boarding school. But considering that that particular love (and many other things) turned me into a fat teenager I thought of a better idea: a shift towards exercising some inventive energy to churn these babies into something else that is more than ordinary.

Espresso sized potato and bacon souffle

I thought about souffle. Despite having no experience in making anything close to a souffle except for a few botched attempt at making mousse, I proceeded undetered. I think one shouldn't fear the unknown and I hope that I am able to practice this phillosophy in life outside the kitchen.


To make my improvised potato souffle, please gather from your surrounding:
  • 4 baby potatoes
  • 1 spring onion
  • 1/4 cup of shredded cheese
  • 3 bacon rasher
  • 1 fresh egg
  • 180 ml of milk
  • 1/2 cup of self-raising flour
First, get some water boiling with salt and plonk in the skinned potatoes. Alternately, you could also steam the babes. Next slice the spring onions and dice the bacon. Separate out the white bits of the spring onion from the green. While the potatoes are cooking, fire up a frying pan and with a little bit of oil, cook the white bits of the spring onions until slightly brown. Then having taken that aside on a plate, fry up the bacon. At this point you don't need any extra oil. Set them aside in a big bowl. Once the potato is done, mash them well and mix with the spring onions and bacon. Beat the egg well with a fork and mix into the potato mixture, adding the cheese in the process. Add the self-raising flour and milk and continue to mix. Season with pepper. Divide into ramekins and bake in a preheated oven at 170 degree Celcius for about 30 minutes until the souffle is risen and golden brown on the top.

If you like, you could incorporate some finely diced carrots into the souffle. I think this is a great idea to get kids to eat their vegetables.

Pretty in pink

In my improvisation today I have learnt a few things:
  1. One could use espresso cups in place of ramekins in baking
  2. One could pull out this souffle from the cup without pre-oiling them
  3. I still hate raw vegetable

No comments: